Sunday, May 10, 2009

#8 - Thoughts on MOTHER’S DAY

Have a Happy Mother’s Day, Moms!

My Mom. My mother was incredible in that between the 1950’s and 1980’s, she and my Dad not only ran their own Mom/Pop restaurants successfully despite having only a 6th (and he only a 4th grade education). Besides this full time job, she also kept our house in the best condition all the time. (I wish she involved me in more of how she did that as my friends will tell you I’ve always had a lot to learn about taking care of my living environment.) In their 6 day a week business (they also spent Sundays giving the place a more thorough cleaning), she was THE waitress (and he the cook) for obvious reasons. Unlike him, she spoke English well and was very outgoing with her customers. To her, they were not just people she served but they were friends whom she usually addressed by their first name. While my father was a great cook, I believe her personable way was key to why, even though franchise fast food places would spring up around their anything but commercialized business, their customers continued to come to our family restaurant.

On the other hand, as a Mom, because she was she hardly home and because of her Asian-American upbringing, she (and more so my Dad) did not engage my brother and I very much and was never someone I felt comfortable going to about anything personal. In that sense, she and my Dad were good providers but fell short in being the kind of parent I (or any child) needed. With this in mind, I have high praise for stay-at-home Moms who not only labor hard to give their children more than just a home that’s well maintained but who are also there to speak into their lives and provide encouragement and hands-on guidance. If you have or have had such a mother, I cannot say enough how much you are (were) blessed and how grateful you should be.

My Mom died in January, 2003. She was never open to the gospel of Jesus Christ and so I am thankful that, as she lay in a coma her final day as a “captive audience,” I was able to read her for many hours from Genesis to Revelation in the Bible and to share with her of her need to place her trust in Jesus Christ. I can only hope that I will see her one day in Heaven. But wherever she is in eternity, I trust that my Heavenly Father has her just where His mercy and His justice has determined she needs to be.

A Mother’s Day prayer.
“Heavenly Father, thank you for all whom you have called to be mothers. Theirs is among the highest callings anyone can have, as they are called to serve their families in a myriad ways that will never be adequately or often enough recognized. From the moment their child is conceived, they are already Moms caring for their unborn child until he or she is ready to be born. I pray that you will enable each Mom to be sustained physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as they face the daily challenges of not just being a homemaker but also one to whom her children can come to for encouragement and guidance. Be with them when they feel unappreciated or feel keenly the need for wisdom to fulfilling their calling. May all those are the recipients of her sacrifices, beginning with her children, remember to take more than just one special day a year to affirm her in every way they can. I pray this in the name of He who was our Servant-King, the Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.”


(The following is from MikeysFunnies.com It is a family friendly,free subscription service that I encourage you to sign up for. (I’ve also provided a link on this blog site.) As you will see below, while it does have writings that will make you smile if not laugh, it sometimes has things like below that really touches the heart and not the “funny bone.” Enjoy!)

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always talk to, and I learned to trust in Him.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

[forwarded by JR Whitby]


today'sTHOT============================


On your birthday, send a thank you card to your mom. [I, Stan, wish I had done so.]


today'sFUNNY [5/07/09]===========================

REAL MOTHERS...

Real Mothers don't eat quiche; they don't have time to make it.
Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils are probably in the sandbox.
Real Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens and happy kids.

Real Mothers know that dried Playdough doesn't come out of shag carpets.
Real Mothers don't want to know what the vacuum just sucked up.
Real Mothers sometimes ask, "Why me?" and get their answer when a little voice says, "Because I love you best."
Real Mothers know that a child's growth is not measured by height or years or grade. It is marked by the progression of Mama to Mommy to Mom...

=======================================

THE IMAGES OF MOTHER


4 years old: My Mommy can do anything!
8 years old: My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!
12 years old: My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.
14 years old: Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either.
16 years old: Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned.
18 years old: That old woman? She's way out of date!
25 years old: Well, she might know a little bit about it.
35 years old: Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion.
45 years old: Wonder what Mom would have thought about it?
65 years old: Wish I could talk it over with Mom

Also check out MikeysFunnies.com for 5/08

Finally, check out the Coral Ridge Ministries’ Mother’s Day video http://www.coralridge.org/equip/Mothers-are-special/default.aspx?eid=K8809&utm_source=EmailCampaign&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=K8809

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog about mothers. It gave me great insight into mine. Thanks Stan.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete