Sunday, May 14, 2017

#1949 (5/14) SUNDAY SPECIAL/Mother's Day: "Emotional Video of Adopted Man Thanking His Birth Mother Goes Viral"

My Mom died in January, 2003. I continue to miss her.

----------------------------------------------------------
"EMOTIONAL VIDEO OF ADOPTED MAN THANKING HIS BIRTH MOTHER GOES VIRAL" Steven Ertelet,  MAY 10, 2017   | http://www.lifenews.com/2017/05/10/emotional-video-of-adopted-man-thanking-his-birth-mother-goes-viral/
A video that an Australian DJ made for Mother’s Day thanking the birth mother he has never met has gone viral.

At the time of writing, the video Ryan Jon posted on his Facebook page has been viewed over 4.2 million times. He posted the clip with the caption: “I’ve never met my biological mum and every year mother’s day gets me thinking. My birth mum sacrificed so much for me and I’d love her to know just how thankful I am and I hope I’m doing her proud.” [Go to:
 http://www.lifenews.com/2017/05/10/emotional-video-of-adopted-man-thanking-his-birth-mother-goes-viral/  and scroll down to watch the video]

Ryan was born in 1987, and was adopted when he was just six weeks old. His parents, Mandy and Rod, had been unable to conceive, and he explained that one day they simply got a phone call that said: “There’s a baby here, come and pick him up tomorrow”. Ryan doesn’t know much about his birth mother, Julie, except what she explained in a letter she left with him. She was living in a share house and when she fell pregnant unexpectedly she simply felt she didn’t have the maturity to be a great mum.

Thankful to be alive
    Although Ryan says he doesn’t want to get into the abortion debate, he talks about how thankful he is to be alive. “I don’t really know what it was like in 1987, but now if someone gets pregnant and doesn’t want to have a baby, they just don’t have a baby. The odds of me being born and having great parents was pretty slim, so I’m just lucky I guess.”

In time for Mother’s Day weekend (don’t worry, Australia has theirs in May, not March like the UK!), the Hit 104.7 fm radio presenter posted a whole series of videos in which he shares his adoption story, including an interview with his adoptive mother, Mandy.

Adoption “the gift of life”
     He emphasises what a positive choice adoption is. “I’ve heard a lot of stories where women who have given up kids for adoption feel really guilty and sometimes it seems like a cowardly thing…but as someone who was adopted, from my point of view it’s the total opposite. You’ve given someone the gift of life, you’ve sacrificed your body for someone who in 12 months you won’t even know. I’d love to be able to look my birth mother in they eye and just say how thankful I am.”

However, confounding the narrative of adoption often seen in the media, he says he doesn’t see his story as one of dramatic abandonment. He wrote in Kidspot: “People I speak to are often surprised that I don’t harbour any ill feelings or have any burning questions that I need answered…I don’t see this as a story of abandonment – for me it’s far less dramatic than movies might imply with disgruntled teens yelling, ‘You’re not my real mum don’t tell me what to do’.”

Ryan also says that he doesn’t necessarily need to meet his birth mother, acknowledging that she has probably moved on and had a family. “It’s totally fine with me if I never meet her, even if I never know she gets the message. I’d love for her to know how thankful I am.”

[bold, italics, and colored emphasis mine]

LifeNews Note: Courtesy of SPUC. The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children is a leading pro-life organziation in the United Kingdom.

DO YOU NEED A WASHING? (from MikeysFunnies.com)

A little girl had been shopping with her Mom in Walmart. She must have been 6-years-old, this beautiful red-haired, freckle-faced image of innocence. It was pouring outside. The kind of rain that gushes over the top of rain
gutters, so much in a hurry to hit the earth it has no time to flow down the spout. We all stood there under the awning and just inside the door of the Walmart. 

We waited, some patiently, others irritated because nature messed up their hurried day. I am always mesmerized by rainfall. I got lost in the sound and sight of the heavens washing away the dirt and dust of the world. Memories of running, splashing so carefree as a child came pouring in as a welcome reprieve from the worries of my day. 

The little voice was so sweet as it broke the hypnotic trance we were all caught in: "Mom, let's run through the rain," she said. 

"What?" Mom asked. 

"Let's run through the rain!" she repeated. 

"No, honey. We'll wait until it slows down a bit," Mom replied. 

This young child waited about another minute and repeated: "Mom, let's run through the rain," 

"We'll get soaked if we do," Mom said. 

"No, we won't, Mom. That's not what you said this morning," the young girl said as she tugged at her Mom's arm. 

"This morning? When did I say we could run through the rain and not get wet?"

"Don't you remember? When you were talking to Daddy about his cancer, you said, 'If God can get us through this, he can get us through anything!" 

The entire crowd stopped dead silent. I swear you couldn't hear anything but the rain. We all stood silently. No one came or left in the next few minutes. 

Mom paused and thought for a moment about what she would say. 

Now some would laugh it off and scold her for being silly. Some might even ignore what was said. But this was a moment of affirmation in a young child's life. A time when innocent trust can be nurtured so that it will
bloom into faith. 

"Honey, you are absolutely right. Let's run through the rain. If God let's us get wet, well maybe we just needed washing," Mom said. 

Then off they ran. We all stood watching, smiling and laughing as they darted past the cars and, yes, through the puddles. They held their shopping bags over their heads. They got soaked. But they were followed by a few who
screamed and laughed like children all the way to their cars. 

And yes, I did. I ran. I got wet. I needed washing. 


today'sTHOT -On your birthday, send a thank you card to your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment