Thursday, April 8, 2021

#3285 (4/8) "Preparing To Be A Greeter At the Gates of Heaven?!!!

    PREPARING TO BE A GREETER AT THE GATES OF HEAVEN?!!! - April 8, 2021. What a great Easter weekend! 1) It started last Saturday when I had my first shift that did not involve the Seafood department where I have worked for the almost 4 1/2 years I've been at the store. I was assigned to be at the front of the store to wipe down carts when they were returned from the parking lot so that it would be clean of any COVID bacteria for customers to use them. When I asked others who had done the job what it was like, they told me how boring it was when things were very slow. Well, God blessed me with a very busy day before Easter and there was a steady stream of customers. As soon as I reported for my shift, I just got into a zone and began greeting people with enthusiasm as they entered the store and even as they left the store. (I'm not aware of others with this job having done the same thing till now.)

As I found myself really enjoying doing that, I began to reflect why I the work was such a good fit for me. God suddenly reminded me of how decades ago I had seen a news story about a Wal-Mart greeter and told myself that I would enjoy doing that. Of course, I was quite disappointed when I learned that Wal-Mart had discontinued such a position and I gave up on the dream I had had those many years ago. And so Saturday's job assignment was just my instinctive response to having an opportunity to do what I had once wanted to do. And I had so much fun!

There were some memorable highlights - especially the look of appreciation I saw on many customers faces at being acknowledged and welcomed. I laugh every time I recall the times I was so excited that, rather than saying "Welcome to Publix" I blurted out "Welcome to WAL-MART" to which only one customer looked back to give me a double take. It was also the first time I recall an assistant manager coming back twice to where I was to commend me for the job I was doing!

As I've had a chance to reflect further on that time on Saturday, I've wondered if there will be a job for a greeter at the gathering of believers at our temporary heaven before Christ returns (as described in the book of Revelation in the Bible. I can see how I would have a great time after I get there greeting people who come after me and welcoming them! I just picture myself standing at the entrance with each of my three pet cats on either side of me, greeting people as they arrive. How much fun will that be!

2) Then on the next day - Easter Sunday - the house church I've been attending for several years now had a special Easter service at a business office. I was there early as I had come with my pastor. Everyone there was busy doing something to prepare for the service and I wasn't sure what I could do to help. Suddenly I saw my opportunity and went to the front door and standing there began greeting the people as they arrived. Once again, FUN!

What about YOU? Have you been given a task that looks boring or seems to not have much significance? Trust God that somehow He has called you- at work, at school, in your church, wherever -possibly meant to prepare you for serving Him in Heaven. No, trust me, we won't be sitting on any cloud and simply playing a harp; no way! The God who created the universe in 6 days could never be a part of doing anything boring. What's in store for us to do in Heaven is sure to be in line up with what He has us doing while in this life. He has not gifted us to be who we are just to have us set it aside when we finally arrive there. No way! Nothing God does is wasted and not part of His larger plan for us. And not just NOT boring, I believe, but something FUN! That goes with what I believe Heaven will be like - a place of inexpressible JOY for every believer from the moment they arrive. I don't know about you, but I can't wait!

 -------------------------------------

PRAYER MATTERS:

"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against 
the disorder of the world Karl Barth
"Prayer is inviting God into a seemingly impossible situation and trusting/resting in His love and grace to accomplish His perfect will in His perfect time and for His greatest glory. Intercession is  one of the great privileges AND responsibilities for EVERY believer."- Stan
----------------------------------------------------------------------
World-Wide Prayer Requests:
------------------------------------------------------------
Praying Through the Open Doors World Watch List for persecuted believers:https://www.opendoorsusa.org/take-action/pray/monthly-prayer-calendar/

The power of one BibleIf you take a good look at the photo of Samira’s extended family in Central Asia (above), you can count more than 50 women, men and children. Samira shares: “Except for one aunt and her two daughters, everyone in this photo came to Christ because of the witness of my sister, who became a believer after she received a Bible.”

April 8 Thank God that His Word is “alive and active; sharper than any double-edged sword” (Heb. 4:12).

*Representative name or photo used to protect identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment