Tuesday, December 25, 2018

#2531 (12/25) MERRY CHRISTMAS! "Comfort and Joy - Christmas Hope"


--------------------------------------------


Dear friend, 
    My wish to you for a VERY special Christmas.

      For me, the past few days  have been a time of more difficult moments than I can remember in a long time. Just last week, things got so frustrating at work, that at one point, I was fortunately in a rather enclosed room when something happened that made me scream out in frustration. If I had done it while out in the open, I'm sure the entire store would have heard me! Then just last night, as I worked my Christmas Eve Day shift at work, my time included about 10 moments of mistakes and my supervisor scolding me several times all within about 20 nminutesThen there is the lonliness of returning home at night to a house empty but for my cat Purrty during a season that emphasiszes being with family and friends. Also, what can I say about my garage door opener not working for several days and then my losing (misplacing?) my watch somewhere such that - not having a cell phone - I had to carry a wall clock around with me. Crazy!
  
   And yet, these and other discouraging moments were accompanied by some special moments. Last week, I finally found the energy to spend a few hours to write Christmas cards to 9 co-workers and customers in which I shared the importance of knowing Christ and included a gospel tract. I had done this for about 16 people last year and had received but one positive response and so I was not expecting much response. But this year, two of the customers expressed great surprise and appreciation in my just giving them a card. I was even surprised when one of them stopped by the next day to tell me that he had not been part of a church for a long time and expressed interest in visiting my church sometime. Then, even in the midst of an day with many difficult moments, I saw my boss suddenly leave for the day while I was waiting for a customer. When I couldn't break away to go after him, the customer I was helping suddenly surprised me by running after my boss and bringing him back so that I could give him the card. Wow! Finally, since last Thursday night, my cat has suddenly taken the initiative to come each night to hop on my bed and lay on top of me while I slept. Special!

   Why am I sharing all of this? Well, I was recently reminded that - in the midst of all the Christmas "merriment" this time of year - there are many who will have a difficult time this Christmas. Among others, I think of:
   * military members who will be apart from loved ones, many on the other side of the world on Christmas Eve.
   * the millions who have suffered the death of a loved one recently and are still struggling with their grief.
   * the tens of millions who are in failing health and have given into despair.
   * the tens of millions who struggle alone to be care-givers to a loved one day after day. 
   * the tens of millions of women (and men) who now regret ending the life of their unborn child this past year. (If only more couples facing an unplanned pregancy today had the courage of Mary and Joseph (who may have been mere teenagers) would choose life for their unborn child!)

   Whatever difficult circumstance you may be dealing with this Christmas, I pray that you find real hope, comfort, and even joy in the reminder of God loving us so much that he did the unimagineable of  taking on human flesh in order to one day lay His life down to pay for our sins that we might have an eternal relationship with Him
    
 "CHRISTMAS HOPE" - By Dave Veerman
When I hear . . .
hateful screams, caustic derisions,
posturing pols fostering divisions

I know . . .
Love's humble descent, Bethlehem birth,
divine intervention rescuing earth

When I see . . .
storms, fires, floods, hurricane's power,
suffering mounting, earthquakes devour

I know . . .
the Father's promises, always fulfilled,
mercy, grace ever reaching, sovereign willed

When I sense . . .
self imperfection, faults, weakness, sin,
battered, scarred, broken, condemned within
                        
I know . . .
countless changed lives, forgiven, free,
Christ's holy work in others and me

When I feel . . .
aging aches, waking nights, future fears,
impatience with life, grief, anger, tears

I know . . .
This life is fleeting, my Savior awaits,
with home celebration at heaven's gates
Wait lifted, day breaking, I embrace the Son—
the rest in my life has just begun!

Copyright 2018 Dave Veerman. Permission is granted to send this to others, with attribution, but not for commercial purposes.

today'sThot: Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Here's What President Trump Was Doing on Christmas Eve" Katie Pavlich | @KatiePavlich: Dec 25, 2018;https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2018/12/25/christmas-eve-at-the-white-house-trump-announces-new-wall-contract-work-on-north-korea-n2538030

--------------------------------------------

Praying Through the Open Doors World Watch List for persecuted believers:To learn more, please go to -https://www.opendoorsusa.org/take-action/pray/monthly-prayer-calendar/

     As you look forward to celebrating the birth of our Savior, persecuted believers in other countries like Somalia, Pakistan and Nigeria are preparing for a time of heightened persecution. This month, join us in praying with the Church around the globe.
December 25 | CENTRAL ASIA - Boris is a young follower of Christ. Because of his faith, he has been beaten up twice and hospitalized. Pray for his protection and that love would show itself stronger than hate.
*Names changed to protect identities




1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful Christmas greeting! In great difficulty is when God's grace shines the brightest. It helps me to remember the bright spots in my own difficult Christmas and that nothing can shake the hope and promise of the gift of God's Son. Merry (belated) Christmas, Stan!
    -herb

    ReplyDelete