Monday, September 16, 2019

#2794 (9/16) "America's Got Talent" - A Personal Perspective


---------------------------------------

"America's Got Talent" -  A Personal Perspective; Stan Yonashiro, Sept. 16, 2019.
     In what spare time I find myself having these days, I rarely watch recently produced television. Too few programs truly entertain; too many have a hidden message I rarely agree with. Very few present moral truths and few truly entertain. In fact, I find myself watching programs from the '50s that were filmed in black and white. I am always impressed how many of them entertain without an agenda while often ending by producing moral truths - even the comedies. ("The Rifleman," "Father Knows Best," and "Leave It to Beaver")

     All of which brings me to why I look forward every summer for many years now to the NBC show "America's Got Talent" - a variety show that seeks to find people or groups of people who are truly gifted. While there are initially every season some acts that tend to be in bad taste, thankfully they are few and we are not forced to watch them more than once or twice. For myself, I look forward every year to the acts that not just entertain but encourage me in some way in how I live my life. Very few acts do that but this year there have been three that have captured my heart and incredibly all three have made it to the final top ten. THIS TUES., 9/17, all ten acts will perform for the last time and it should be one of the most amazing programs of the year.

    The three acts I am cheering for this year are:

    1) Kodi Lee - His is the most incredible story. He is a 20 year old who was born blind and lives as well with autism. When he was first introduced, no one in the audience knew what to expect. But from the first note he played at the piano (incredible!) and the first few words he sang, you could hear jaws dropping throughout that vast auditorium. People in the audience as well as the judges were shown with tears in their eyes. One judge said that he would remember that moment for the rest of his life, and I don't think there were many watching who would not agree.
     For me, Kodi is a living example of why I am so passionately pro-life. It strikes me every time I see him perform and hear the comments of those who watch him that many of those same people would find a baby born with the conditions that Kodi has had to live with as somehow not worthy to be granted life when pre-born,  that the Mom would have every right to abort this "unwanted" human life. But in Kodi, we see why EVERY PERSON is uniquely given to us from God. Of course, it doesn't matter how that person is gifted. 

     2) Emanne Beasha - When this tiny 10 year old first stepped on the stage those many months ago, I'm sure very few outside her family and friends knew what to expect. But from the moment she first began singing, you could almost hear a pin drop in that entire auditorium as people found themselves in awe of this amazing talent who truly sings opera like an adult angel. While others have had splashy presentations, Emannes' have been almost understated just as she is. I appreciate her innocent nature and the reminder that EACH OF US is gifted by God often in understated ways that truly bring glory to the God who so enables us.

     3) Ryan Niemiller - When you first see him, his disabled shortened hands take your breath away and makes you feel sorry for  him. Again, like Kodi, I wonder how many are tempted to abort him because "he couldn't possibly have a 'good life' with that kind of disability." But then - esp. in his first performance months ago - Ryan disarms you - pardon the pun (: by his self-deprecating humor. He makes you look at your own "disability " ( and we each has something that hinders our full enjoyment of life, don't we?) and he challenges you to stop engaging in self-pity and find ways to bless others and have your life be successful despite that limitation. 

     I know, some of the other acts in this year's program have some great stories as well. But these three are those that have won my heart from their very first  presentations AND this is the first time in all the years I have watched this annual talent show that any of my favorities have even made it to the quarter-finals let alone to the finals themselves. And what will make watching the final performances TOMORROW NIGHT (9/17, 8-10 PM, NBC) even more special is that I'll be able to watch it with some good friends.

    All of which to say that I hope YOU will plan to take the time to watch it LIVE (if not later on the internet). If you have not watched any performances this year, I am confident you will be blessed by ALL the acts.

     P.S. -  The following are the initial auditions of each of my favorite performers. Watch them and be amazed as I was.
Kodi Lee  -   https://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/kodi-lee-singer-americas-got-talent-season-14-auditions/3962796 // "What AGT Didn't Tell You About Kodi Lee" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzfAs11uCY
Emanne Beshea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjecfrF6ZOU
Ryan Niemiller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYMl5_Hco6U

---------------------------------------


PRAYER MATTERS:

"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world Karl Barth
"Prayer is inviting God into a seemingly impossible situation and trusting/resting in His love and grace to accomplish His perfect will in His perfect time and for His greatest glory. Intercession is  one of the great privileges AND responsibilities for EVERY believer."- Stan
------------------------------------------------------------
Praying Through the Open Doors World Watch List for persecuted believers:https://www.opendoorsusa.org/take-action/pray/monthly-prayer-calendar/
Monthly Focus | INDIA - For the first time, India entered the top 10 on the 2019 World Watch List. Research indicates that in 2018, more than 12,000 attacks on Christians were reported  (many go unreported). This month, we invite you to pray with our fellow Indian believers.
September 16 | NEPAL - Dhrub Kumar Pariyar was beaten after being falsely accused of taking money from other countries for Christian conversions. Pray or healing and strengthened faith.
*Names changed to protect identities

No comments:

Post a Comment